Who Are We?
Founded in 1926 by Shri Rishabhchand, who had plunged into the Non-Cooperation movement started by Mahatma Gandhi and fired by his patriotic fervour opened Indian Silk House which has four generation old history of spinning silk into gold, with a hand in dressing Nargis, Supriya Devi, Chhabi Biswas, Sarat Chandra Bose, P.C. Sorcar senior and so on. Rishabhchand obeyed the call of his inner soul and sought communion with Sri Aurobindo and The Mother at Pondicherry. In 1931, he settled in Sri Aurobindo Ashram at Pondicherry. The business was carried on by his brothers and son.
The College Street outlet with its wide collection of silks from Varanasi, Bangalore, Kanchipuram, Arni, Madhya Pradesh, Assam, Murshidabad, Bankura and so on made a loyal client base over the years which grew with time. In the year 2003, on 3rd december, the present generation opened another outlet at P- 92 Lake Road, Kolkata- 700029 by the name Indian Silk House Exclusives, to focus on exclusivity in a very contemporary collection for its south Kolkata esteemed clientele. It is an interesting blend of the old and the new. The driving philosophy of the organisation during its early days is still what spurs the company forward today. Values passed down the generation still form the essence of the organisation, even as it moves with time. This innovative streak had earned it kudos, notable among these are the certificate for "Best Designing in Silk" at the Congress Exhibition in 1928 and being spoken as the "Best Indian Outlet in the Craft of Silk" by Deshapriya Jatindra Mohan Sengupta.
Customer and weaver inputs coupled with our own intuition is what keeps us in tune with the times. So much so that we at the new outlet also have a variety of silk sarees with dress material sets in silk, cotton, georgette, crepe etc. gift accessories like stoles, fashion jewelery, designer blouses and matching hand bags. Fashion may change with time but tradition can never be overtaken by fashion. Still a Jamevar or a real zari Kanjeevaram sari is a family heirloom which can be passed on to the next generation. The finest silks from all over India form the comprehensive collection at both the outlets that Indian Silk House is famous for. From Benaras, to Orissa, to Bengal and South India ... silks from all over India
- Benarasi sarees and Dress materials
- Jamevar sarees
- Pure Kanchipuram silk sarees
- South Indian silk sarees & Dress materials
- Pochampally ( Andhra silk)
- Gadhwal sarees
- Upadda silk sarees
- Bomkai Silk ( Orissa silk)
- Garad silk sarees from Bengal
- Baluchari sarees from Bengal
- Murshidabad printed silk sarees of Bengal
- Tussar silk sarees and Dress materials
- Printed silk , Georgette, Chiffon , Crepe ,Matka and Linen sarees
- Kota , Maheshwari sarees and Chanderi sarees
- Kanchi cotton and Coimbatore cotton sarees
- Kantha embroidery on sarees and materials
- Silk Dhuti, Chadder and Jod
- Silk Stoles, Shawls, Cushion covers ,Letter holders, Bed covers etc.
- Fashion Jewelery and Handbags
- Designer blouses